I love summer. I've been sleeping in until 7 and my kids have been sleeping in later than that! Besides sleeping in late we have been busy learning some life skills and responsibility! We are also working on a electronic free summer. The kids and I worked on some Summer Rules together and officially declared the Summer of 2017 the summer of Work Hard, Play Hard.
- We will work together and not fight.
- There will be no hitting or kicking...
- We will do our work with happy hearts...
- Mom's in charge...
Summer Daily chores
- Make Bed
- Get Dressed
- Brush Teeth
- 30 minutes of workbooks
- 30 minutes of reading/journaling
- Load dish in dishwasher
- Feed Wesley
Summer Life Skills Lessons
(we work on a task a day...)
- Learn to use the washer/dryer (Lucy)
- Learn to sort the laundry (Lucy and Henry)
- Fold and Put away clothes (Lucy and Henry)
- Learn to load and run the dishwasher.
- Learn to wake with an alarm clock. (Lucy- this will come in August...)
- Kitchen Cleanup after meals- Wipe tables, sweep floors, spray counters
- Meal Prep and Simple Meals- My kids love to cook, I Need to involve them more in the kitchen.
- What else should kids be doing?
- Menu plan/ grocery shop
- put away groceries
My kids love TV... And I love to have a break and let them watch it. But I have noticed they behave much better if they don't watch it or if they don't play on their tablets. It pumps them up and they don't listen... So how am I implementing the Summer of No electronics?
- Unplug the XBOX (tell them it's broken...)
- Change the input so they can't find the menu... (tell them it's broken)
- Don't charge/hide the tablets...
- Change the computer passwords
- Be an example... (I'm learning to put up my phone...)
We do have family movie night but I try to make it an event and not just mindless TV watching. The kids can also earn screen time but it's not a given...
I'm trying to plan something fun throughout the week. I want my kids to know that when you work hard you are rewarded but I also want them to know I am not here to entertain them. A few weeks ago we came up with a summer bucket list, we are using that to guide our play...
- Pool Playdates
- Cousin playdates
- Six Flags
- Make Goo or Slime
- Snow Cones
- Play Outside
Quick Story on Working with a Happy Heart
"Mom, I'm trying to work with a happy heart because I know that's what God wants me to do but I just can't quit getting mad! I Just Can't Quit Sinning! I even tried to not sin for the day and I Sinned Right Away!", said Lucy. Life Lesson #567- We are saved by grace because we are sinners, because you love God your sins are forgiven. But BECAUSE we love God we try really hard not to sin because it pleases him. Only one person in the history of people was perfect, and that was Jesus. Because of him we do not have to be perfect." Lucy was pleased by this answer but then I hear my sweet little Henry, "Mom, that means we don't have to be perfect and we don't have to make our beds perfect because only Jesus makes a perfect bed..."
God is bigger than this and Jesus Can fix-it.